New boat project, Herreshoff NY-30, sort-of





I started working on a modified Herreshoff NY-30 with modified keel, ruudder, and sail plan. She is to be 35 and 1/2 inches from stem to stern, which is a good size that I can carry around with me. Perhaps even on the M.B.T.A subway. I want her to be a boat that I will sail a lot for many years. The keel design, as well as the rudder, has involved a great deal of thought. I have been torn between trying to replicate the appearance of the full scale original keel with sweeping rudder, or a more effective design for a sailing model with large rudder aft, and deeper fin and bulb. One advantage to the fin with bulb is I can carry the boat in one hand without risking the rudder. A carrying cradle of some sort might work but would be more weight to carry on my ten minute walk to the pond.

I am not so much interested in replicating every exact turning block, goose-neck fitting, windlass, turnbuckle, and sculpted tiller, as I am in making something that will be enjoyable to sail in a wide range of wind conditions, especially down-wind. She will certainly look the part from a distance, and
She will have a slightly smaller, in proportion, version of the gorgeous gaff rig of the original, which Is something to see I hope. 

Comments

Popular Posts