Catboat #9

Progress-
All hollowed, fared, shellacked, test floated, keel installed in correct alignment, mast step tube support, display stand. The dots that look like dimples are the pegs for securing the lifts. They turn dark when you zap them with CA.


Her keel is a solid steel bulb and fin that I made while in Art school back in 1984. I was making a lot of welded steel sculptures at the time. This one, on the catboat, has been on at least two other boats. I make so many boats, and keels are so hard to make or come by, that sometimes I cannibalize keels from old boats that have been collecting dust. I test floated her a few times with a CR-914 bulb, (too heavy) a DF-65 bulb, (slightly too light), steel keel-perfect. When I drew the plan, I calculated the center of buoyancy. After testing, the keel ended up farther aft than where the plan wanted it to go. This I attribute to extra weight in the high bow.




Comments

Popular Posts