Dear Me:
Here is a possible artists statement--

I once told a shrink I was seeing that I could understand a sailboat keel far better than I could understand a person. At the time, I remember feeling like if there was ever a sentence that I could say and feel right about, that would be it. After all these years, mere words have still not come close to accurately describing what my obsession with boats is really about. Merely saying "I like sailboats because they are beautiful" has always felt like only part of the story, and I'm still trying to describe the other part. At the same time, the boats are central to who I am, that much I do know.

Its not just the way boats move through water, not just the beautiful shapes of boats that inspires me, not just the way they move gracefully, or even the endlessly fascinating engineering challenges that sailboats present. Perhaps its the fact that the basic concept of a sailboat has barely changed in many centuries or that sailboats represent, to me, a constant reliable world that I can inhabit and understand with ease both in my imagination through art, and in reality. This feels much more empowering than the fluid tumultuous constantly changing interactive world of real life stuff like paying my electric bill.






Comments

Popular Posts