Boston Model Sailing Club?


I would very much like to bring together some sort of in-formal group for sailing and racing R/C (remote controlled) model boats in the Boston Area. I have three possible ponds, the Christian Science Reflecting pool, the Charles River Esplanade lagoon, and the sheltered area close to Community boating. I have been racing for many years at the Marblehead Model Yacht club, and more recently in Worcester, but I live in Boston, and It takes time and money to travel to these places. More importantly, it would be awesome to bring the fascinating and challenging sport of R/C model sailing back to Boston. The more the merrier so to speak. In the spring I will bring my Soling (pictured above) to any of these Boston locations on a regular basis. The best inspiration is to see these boats in action

You've never had fun sailing until you get behind the controls of one of these boats. I am very interested in helping others to get boats built and sailing. I've been making model sailboats of every kind for 35 years or so, and I'm more than happy to answer questions, have winter boat building parties.

A great Link to all the info you could want on the subject is the American Model Yachting Association and
here's the link for the Soling One Meter Resource Center. My personal favorite for a possible club boat.

BTW-Storrow lagoon, on the Esplanade in Boston was  originally built for sailing models way back in the day, but then they built Storrow Drive between the lagoon and the rest of Boston which put an end to Model yachting in Boston because of parking. My Vintage M "Madcap" is an example of the basic type of boat that was originally sailed there. Its a fantastic pond with steady winds and access to the entire perimeter.

The Christian Science Reflecting pool is great too, there are no weeds, central location with parking, amenities, etc. Down side is the Church might not like having Formal Competition, but informally three or four boats at a time would be fine, I've sailed there for many years without a problem

the area near the Community Boating would be good as there are already many sailing interested people there, its got your amenities too.

anyway, follow me on twitter,
Happy sailing!

John Storrow
johnstorrow@gmail.com



Comments

Popular Posts