poems

since I started working at the MFA I've been keeping a little tiny sketchbook in my pocket in which I doodle designs for boats, Ideas for paintings, and poems. I have hundereds of these little books dating back to nineteen eighty seven. recently I started typing up the poems so that I have them for the future in one place.

here is an example of one-

the trickling stream
was boiled into steam
which passed a beam
of special light and became cream
which flowed into a seam
between the mahogany boards.
but soon the birds
drew their swords
and gathered their hords
and twisted their goards
to get to the boards
that were glued together with cream
then the gathering of planks
continued to grow from the banks
of the trickling stream
under the light of the beam
untill the ship was finally built.

Comments

Popular Posts